Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Guess who called me this morning to tell me she found my security blanket and wanted to arrange to return it. That sinking feeling washed over me again. I even called my Aunt Adeline, my favorite aunt, and told her about the call. She, of course, knows about the special attachment I had to my "tickle" blanket. Jokingly, I mentioned that I slept with it until I had my bar mitzvah, when I became a man. , and she nearly choked, because it isn't much of an exaggeration. I was like Linus. I told her that I had made my peace with never seeing it again, when it was among the many things taken from me before the divorce. So we decided that it's best that I ignore the call.

The following was added and post-dated to complete the events of this episode:

By the next day, after a day of consternation and high anxiety over how to respond, I sent my X an email. In it, I explained that I had made peace with those things that I no longer had, that I had moved on. But I said, of course, I'd like my blanket back and asked that she ship it and that I'd reimburse her for the shipping charges. I, also, asked her not to call me, ever.

I had mentioned that I would return to her the item she had forgotten, a foot wide photo of her 25 year high school reunion, which I did send off to her several days later.

After my email, I received email from her, in which she said that she, too, had moved on, now that she was engaged, she, too had moved on.

Needless to say, I never received my security blanket. I hope she makes her new husband as happy as she made me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home